Crisp Fried Plantain Tostones with Rum Jalapeños
Makes: 12 tostones
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Time: 0 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Bacon, cooked, crisped, and crumbled
Rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 ½ cups
2-inch squares of Swiss cheese
Green onions, sliced on a bias
- Peel plantains. Cut into 2-inch thick slices (about 12 slices in total).
- Deep fry plantain slices at 325°F until golden and softened.
- Drain onto paper towels. Turn deep fryer up to 350°F.
- Cool plantains briefly. Stand on their ends and then press using a towel or tortilla press into a 3” circle, about 1/4” thick.
- Heat the BBQ sauce and chicken over low heat.
- Fry the pressed plantains in the 350°F fryer until very golden and brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Divide the chicken amongst the tostones. Top with a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove to a platter and top with sour cream, bacon, sliced Jalapeños, and green onions.